Title: Product Development Manager
LOCATION: Phoenix, AZ SUMMARY: The ideal candidate will be an individual with several years’ experience in various areas of insurance (individual health insurance, group health insurance and ancillary lines of insurance). This individual will lead the development process of new insurance products, or changes to existing products under the direction of the Vice President of Product Development and TPA Management. The candidate should enjoy being in a position where she or he is the “expert” and called upon to lead, give advice, make quick decisions, and act as an product advocate when required.
A background in a wide range of insurance products and coverage issues is essential in this regard (all health lines – excepted benefits, short-term medical). This expertise will allow you to assist the team in Phoenix, AZ and others within our North America division.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Leads the discussion for new product development with senior leadership to include actuarial, marketing, sales, legal/compliance and IT personnel.
• Experience in all aspect of insurance – product understanding, claims processes, billing, and general policy administration.
• Acts as a liaison between all teams, marketing organizations, product participants, insurance carriers, compliance consultants, etc. as necessary to ensure product completion.
• Documentation expert must be able to document detailed product designs for distribution to business partners for implementation.
• Communications skills a must, someone who can effectively present and communicate and enjoys the process via in-person, email, Skype, etc.
• Facilitates and coordinates project team meetings and documents decisions made.
• Produces status reports on current projects.
• Project Management skills – must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously with ease.
• Creates Product Overview of new product to be delivered to TPA partners.
• Coordinates with Compliance on product development documents, which define and clarify procedures for all parties involved.
• Acts as SME (Subject Matter Expert) providing assistance internally and externally with product education and problem resolution as needed.
• Prepares competitive analysis on new and current insurance products.
• Assists in notifying departments about new product initiatives, rates updates and plan changes.
• Performs other projects/duties as assigned.
IHC Carrier Solutions is a program management, actuarial and regulatory compliance firm providing product and business development, valuation services and business block evaluation for IHC’s fully insured health segment.
IHC Carrier Solutions, Inc. is a member of the IHC Group. The IHC Group is an organization of affiliated insurance carriers, marketing and administrative companies and agencies dedicated to delivering insurance solutions to groups and individuals. The IHC Group is composed of Independence Holding Company (NYSE:IHC), Standard Security Life Insurance Company of New York, Madison National Life Insurance Company, Inc., Independence American Insurance Company and their respective operating subsidiaries.
For over 30 years, the member companies of The IHC Group have provided health, life, disability, dental, vision, short term medical, hospital indemnity, and pet health insurance solutions to individuals and groups.
Through product innovation and committed relationships with our policyholders, we have built a strong, successful insurance organization.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
• Minimum 5 years’ experience in the individual and group medical insurance setting, working with a variety of plan types and insurance products.
• High school degree plus 4 years of college or demonstrated equivalent.
• Ability to articulate ideas and information, both verbally and in writing, to co-workers, superiors, and representatives of other organizations. Ability to listen and respond appropriately to others.
• Superior ability to process information logically and recommend solutions to problems. Understanding of chains of command and ability to assess when to make independent decisions.
• Ability to handle stress and interact with difficult people and situations without taking matters personally. Understanding of appropriate business etiquette. Demeanor consistent with professional behavior and business communications.
• Strong organizational skills with ability to plan, initiate, prioritize, and implement projects. Ability to meet deadlines. Ability to handle substantial workload with multiple projects and priorities, while encountering frequent interruptions.
• Literacy in a PC environment using MS Windows and MS Office products, including Microsoft Word. Ability to learn new computer software and peripherals. Minimum typing speed 60 wpm in word processing, using MS Word preferred.
• Ability to prepare and deliver presentations to diverse audiences. Understanding of appropriate formats and targeting audiences.
• Basic knowledge of group benefit administration terminology and format. Solid business writing skills. Ability to research and analyze data. Ability to summarize materials in standardized formats with content that is concise, well organized, and usable.
• Ability to work independently and with others. Ability to cross-train others.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS DESIRED:
Supervisory or Team Lead experience.
Fingering: Picking, pinching, typing, or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand or arm as in handling.
Talking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which detailed or important spoken instructions are conveyed to other workers accurately, and quickly.
Hearing: Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, with or without correction.
Repetitive Motions: Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers